Monday, October 15, 2012

Sail Loft - Boston

Being in Boston, we had to try and get in some seafood.  We talked to the front desk to get more information on where to eat and he recommended a place down by the harbour called the Sail Loft.  Our only requirement was that it had to have some excellent chowder.

We cabbed it down to the harbour since we were hungry and when we got there, the place was packed tighter than a can of sardines.  (I'll try and keep the fish metaphors down, but I couldn't resist).  We were told that it get a table, it would be about 30 mins.  We put our names down as we already made it this far, and before long, we were told we could take a table near the front door.  The place was hopping, and small, so the volume of people talking and the music in the background was VERY loud.  After we got seated with out menu's, we ended up waiting 10 mins without any service.  We decided to flag someone down who told us that she was not our server, but she would find us ours.  After another 10 mins, one of the tables further away from the door and closer to where there seemed to have staff opened up, so we moved over there and we finally got some service.

We all ordered the chowder.  There were two sizes, mug and regular.  I was hungry so I went for the regular.  Do note that apparently the regular size is VERY BIG.  It can almost be a meal in itself.  I do have to say, that chowder was one of the better chowders I have every had.  It was rich and creamy, lots of ingredients, and best of all, lots of clams!  I was stuffed after just the chowder.  Too bad I also ordered fish and chips, the boss had the fish sandwich.  The fish sandwich was actually quite good.  The fish was battered well, the tartar sauce was tangy and everything held together well.  The fries on the other hand were a little on the soggy side.  Not very appetizing.  For my fish and chips, when it arrived, it looked great!  Even if I was full, it looked tasty.  When I took my first bite, there was a healthy portion of fish.  What was weird was with that perfect looking batter and great fish, there was not any flavour to be had.  NONE!  I could barley taste the fish.  The meal became an expensive tartar transportation vehicle.  My fries were also soggy but luckily, it did not matter, as I was full.  Also by this time, the place got busier so the bar decided to pump up the music louder.  My ears were ringing by the end of it.

The restaurant was decorated like an old wooden fishing ship, long and narrow, making it difficult to walk by to get to the small cramped washrooms.

The chowder was awesome, but between the horrible service, the mediocre food and the club pumping music and noise, we just will not be back.




Review (out of 5):
Food: * *
Value: * * 1/2
Atmosphere: *
Service: *
Price: $5 - $30
Website: Sail Loft Google Page

No comments: