Monday, July 23, 2012

Big Rig Brew Part Deux

We recently went back to Big Rig with some friends who have not yet had the pleasure to try out the new west-end brewery.  I have already reviewed this place a few weeks ago, so I will not go into the details there, but I did want to update on the food and service from this time.

I had started with a cheddar and Ale soup which was presented very nicely and tasted very good.  It was rich, but not too rich, and made a nice start to the meal.  I had ordered the Chicken pot pie there, one of my favourite meals.  I felt disappointed with the pie because it lacked seasoning.  It may have had to do with the rich soup I had before, and that may have messed up my taste buds.  The contents of the pie itself had big chicken chunks and lots of veggies.  The pastry was flaky and for bonus points, even the bottom had pastry!

The "boss" had the spicy blue cheese burger.  The bun was toasted perfectly, the toppings were fresh and lots of flavour. The burger patty was not memorable.  It was not bad, but there was an expectation for a little more.  Our friends ordered the fish and chips and the Big Rig classic Pizza.  The fish and chips came out perfect.  There was a good balance between batter and fish, the fish was still juicy and the batter was crispy but not over cooked.  The pizza was actually very good.  I was sceptical about it when I saw it on the menu, but they did an excellent job on the quantity of pizza, the amount of cheese and toppings. My friend does like his pizzas to have extra sauce, but that was more of a personal preference.

Once again, we still ran into issue with the service and what seems like them being understaffed.  I still did not get offered ketchup.  When asked for an extra utensil, the server forgot it.  I still do not feel that it was the server's fault, as they looked overwhelmed.  More staff in this case may help give a better level of service in my opinion.

Overall, the food was still very good.  It was a little bit of a miss for me, but others still seemed to very much enjoy their meals.  The beer here is always great, and they need more help still in the service department.  They are still pretty new, but that excuse can only last so long.

Review (out of 5):
Food: * * * *
Value: * * * * 1/2
Atmosphere: * * * * *
Service: * * * 1/2
Price Range (dinner): $15 - $35
Website: http://bigrigbrew.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a good-looking slaw! I would be interested in trying it. I normally avoid coleslaws because they're horrible and drowning in mayo; that has potential! :)