Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Daniel

This place holds a special part in my life.  When I wanted to propose to my better half, I took her to one of her favourite cities in the world.  As a treat, I convinced her to go out for some fancy dining as part of my greater plan.  I looked up in the Michelin guide for three star restaurants and the one that jumped out at me was...of course Daniel.  This place is one of Chef Daniel Boulud's top restaurants.  Chef Daniel is one of the best chef's in NYC, and is very well known around the culinary world.

The location is just off central park, and the impressions when you walk in is elegance and beauty.  We went once again for a 6 course tasting with wine parings.  The service here was very professional and top notch.  Plates would arrive at the same time, and be served at the same time.  The staff was very friendly and knew when to be conversational and when not to be intrusive.

One of the things I always look for when I have a tasting menu is what the chef will do for an aperitif.  A nice cheese and duck pate came out which was divine.  It set the stage for a good meal to come.  When it came to the tasting, the boss and I differed on only the main course.  I took the lamb while she took on the black sea bass.  My lamb was cooked perfectly, with a very great balance of flavours and colours on the plate.  Everything went very well together.  The black sea bass was something that I will never forget.  This had to become THE course that has set the bar.  Afterwards, looking up Chef Daniel's info, we did find out that his dish is his specialty.  The bass just flaked, was juicy, while full of flavours.  This was the highlight of the dinner.  The selection of wines was pairs up very well.  Nothing to complain about, but nothing that jumped out as overly memorable.

I am bias now that of this place for the sea bass and the proposal that came after, but even without that, this was a very enjoyable and exquisite meal.  Well worth the visit here, even if it is just for that sea bass.  Well done!

Review (out of 5):
Food: * * * * 1/2
Value: * * * *
Atmosphere: * * * * 1/2
Service: * * * * *
Price Range (dinner): $105-$350 (8 Course tasting with wine)
Website: http://www.danielnyc.com/daniel.html

No comments: