Monday, July 09, 2012

Le Cordon Bleu Bistro @ Signatures

In an impromptu dinner, we decided to head over to finally try Signatures in Ottawa before heading to a wedding later that evening.  I have heard lots about this restaurant.  It is part of the Cordon Bleu cooking school and a while back, they used to have full table d'hote.  Recently they changed over to a more Bistro style theme.  The place is nestled in the heart of Sandy Hill, in a older looking mansion.  We were part of the late seating, so the place was not very busy for a Saturday night.

We got the option of tap, bottled, or sparkling water which was a nice touch.  The boss ordered the Toasted old gouda and smoked duck breast sandwich,grilled octopus, tomato caramel lollipop with sesame crust with Seasoned artic char filet, shitake emulsion, swiss chard, maitake sabayon, Chioggia beets, pine nut crumble as the main course.  For myself, I started with the Crab and shrimp cannelloni, coriander gel, vanilla pear chutney, olive paper followed by Roasted duck breast, carrot cream flavoured with maple and coffee Figs,
kumquat, and olive oil confit porcini mushroom, blood orange reduction.  To hold us over until the plates arrived, we were served fresh baked bread with a bacon butter.  I have to say, this combination was a very tasty touch.  The appetizers arrived and things smelt very good.  The toasted gouda was light and flavourful, while I like the octopus more, the boss enjoyed the tomato caramel lollipop.  I felt the lollipop stuck to my teeth too much and I ended up spending too much time trying to pick it out.  The cannelloni was good, but was not mind blowing.  The plate had a decent balance, but it felt like it was missing something.  The artic char was cooked perfectly as was the duck.  They were juicy and flavourful.  The rest of the plate left something more to be desired.  Once again, it did not seem like what was on the plate went well with what was served.

The presentation of the food was a little surprising.   The octopus and the duck plate came out, and it looked like someone really enjoys smearing sauces.  It made the plate look messy and cluttered.  I felt like it was an attempt at trying too much at the presentation, while something simpler and cleaner would have really made things look more appetizing. 

The service was good.  We had the bread refilled and never did out waters reach the bottom of the glass.  We did have to specifically ask for wine parings to go with our mains.  I expected to have been asked by the server if we wanted a wine paring, but that was not a huge deal.

The decor of the restaurant is classy.  Not very modern looking but it was comfortable.  The use of electronic candles felt a little cheap to me, but I may just be getting a little too picky.  The music that was pipped into the room was inconsistent in volume and theme.  There was a mix of classical, easy blues, big bad, while some songs were louder than others.  I did not lend well to the atmosphere.

Overall, the food was good, but it was not wonderful.  I was not wowed, which I do expect at least a little wow factor for fine dining.  I do also understand that this location is a teaching school, so I do not expect everything to be perfect.  I would not go back here, as I did not feel the value of the food was worth it.  I could get a much better meal from Beckta or Fougeres for about the same cost.

Review (out of 5):
Food: * * * 1/2
Value: * * *
Atmosphere: * * *
Service: * * * *
Price Range (dinner): $25-$35
Website: http://www.bistroatsignatures.com/

No comments: