Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mill Street Brew Pub

I have always been a big fan of the Mill Street Micro Brew's.  In one of my trips to Toronto, we dropped in for a visit to the brewery there and it was packed, but we still had time for a quick beer.  When I heard they were opening one up here in Ottawa, it was a constant check to see when they would be opened.  I sure hope I did not over hype them up!

The location in Ottawa is where the old Mill steakhouse used to be.  There is a great view there of the river and plenty of parking.  Inside, the restaurant has a very modern feel to it, wood and stainless steel, two floors, two patios, two bars, and a glass encasing of the brew tanks.  When we sat down, they have their food menu and their drink menu for all the beers they serve.  The Portage, Chaudiere and the Irish Red are the only three brewed in Ottawa, and are exclusive for this location.  They have an option for a sampler flight of 6oz or 8oz glasses to try out different beers.  This is an excellent way to sample everything at not much extra cost.

When it came to the food, we had tried regular nachos, and pulled pork nachos.  I was a little scared when I was first told about the pulled pork nachos, but it has become one of new favourites!  The combination of the sweet pulled pork sauce with the salty nachos make for a very tasty appetizer which came in a very good size.  Also had was the chicken poutine, which garnered some mixed reviews.  I enjoyed it very much, while some did not feel that the curds were fresh.  Also of contention was that the gravy was not the proper dark gravy, but with the chicken, I thought the light gravy went well.  It comes down to personal preference at that point.

I had the chicken pot pie for an entree, and I have to say, it lived up to my expectations for a chicken pot pie.  The crust was flaky and there was big chunks of chicken and lots of veggie goodies inside.  The "boss" tried the piggy delight flat bread.  It was a good size, had a good amount of toppings and was very enjoyable to eat.

I have to say that when I get a chance to come to Mill Street, it was always a treat.  I would come back for sure.  If you get a chance to go on the brewery tour, it is worth it, just to get a chance to chat with the brew master, and go into the depths of the brew tanks.  It is free and only takes 15 mins.  The place does fill up quickly and can be difficult to get a table at times, so if you can show up early, it can save yourselves a headache.  With the nice summer weather, there is quite a bit more seating with the patio's open, so it is not as much of a problem.



Review (out of 5):
Food: * * * *
Value: * * * *
Atmosphere: * * * *
Service: * * * *
Price (dinner): $8 - $26
Website: http://ottawa.millstreetbrewpub.ca/frontpage



No comments: